Why Choose St Mary's?
Choosing the right education for your child is one of the most important decisions you will ever make.
As parents, carers, or grandparents you have a choice - and the right - to offer your child the best education available.
The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle proudly hosts some of the best schools in Newcastle, Maitland, the Hunter and Upper Hunter, Lake Macquarie and Manning regions.
Catholic schools offer a unique educational experience which forms the child or young person as a person of integrity, compassion, faith and wisdom. Catholic schools also work closely with their local parish to enhance in students a capacity to make sense of their world, to make judgements and to recognise the uniqueness of others within a faith community.
Each school has a supportive community of teachers, parents, carers, P&F committees, clergy, parishioners, and support staff who work together to focus on students; encouraging success, promoting discipline, supporting creativity and instilling compassion. This means that Catholic schools don’t just teach religious studies, they seek to develop spirit, mind, body and character and cultivate Gospel values that support lives filled with joy, endeavour and hope in the future.
Each Catholic school has a commitment to focussing on each individual child’s ability, offering a unique array of educational, creative, sporting and formation opportunities for students.
Finally, Catholic schools offer peace of mind to parents; knowing they’ve made the right choice and the best investment for their child’s future. It is because of this and the many opportunities available to students that we believe choosing a Catholic education, is the right choice to make.
WHAT ST MARY’S CAN OFFER YOU
WE OFFER DIVERSE OPPORTUNITIES
St Mary’s is a community where the creative, unique and individual talents of every student are greatly appreciated, embraced and encouraged. Students have the opportunity to participate in many academic, sporting, social and social justice activities to develop the child academically, physically, socially and spiritually. Students of St Mary’s have the opportunity to be involved in activities such as: choir, Steer Handling, sporting competitions, debating and public speaking, robotics and coding clubs, dance and drama groups to name a few.
STRONG SENSE OF COMMUNITY
St Mary's is proud to be the recipient of the Mons Collahan Award for Community. Our Catholic community nurtures each child in a friendly and faith-filled environment where Catholic values are explicitly taught and nurtured. We have developed strong partnerships with many aspects of our local community and enjoy the interactions and benefits of such relationships. We warmly welcome new members to our community.
POSITIVE EDUCATION SCHOOL
St Mary’s has an explicit Social/Emotional program where students identify and use their strengths to help prepare them for the challenges ahead. Students are encouraged to develop positive behaviours for learning and are encouraged to aim for their personal best at all times. St Mary’s is proud of its association with the Positive Education Schools Association and Where There’s A Will Foundation that support our quest to be a Positive Education School.
St Mary’s uses the Restorative Practice framework based on the Restorative Justice Philosophy that builds and strengthens relationships and social connections promoting accountability and responsibility and repairing harm when relationships break down through wrongdoing, mistakes and misunderstanding. This assists teachers and students to build, maintain and restore relationships when they have broken down. It helps build capacity to enable students to self-regulate behaviour and contributes to the improvement of learning outcomes.
EARLY LEARNING FOCUS
St Mary’s is committed to ensuring a smooth transition for all students from the varied early learning institutions in the Scone and surrounding areas. Our transition period allows children to develop friendships and familiarity with the school environment in the lead up to starting school. In Kindergarten to Year 2 we have a focus on play based learning to develop the whole child.
WISDOM FROM OUR CHURCH
- Parents are the primary educators in the faith of their children
- Faith formation is a lifelong process
- The model for faith formation is where the liturgy itself teaches: children learn about faith by doing and reflecting on the doing; the context for sacramental preparation is the Sunday parish liturgy – the heart of the church’s life.
- The family is the domestic church and the catholic school serves these families
CATHOLIC LIFE IN OUR SCHOOL
- Introduce young people to Jesus; especially through the scriptures and modeling of his actions
- Teach an attitude of thanksgiving and selfless love
- Understand and nurture prayer, sacraments and liturgy
- Teach the sacramental language of ritual and symbol by doing
- Link liturgy to life; Find ways to identify Christian values: ‘justice, truth, forgiveness, love, reconciliation and service of one another.’
PASTORAL CARE AND DISCIPLINE
- Pastoral Care is the integration of the spiritual, academic and social dimensions of a school’s energy so that an atmosphere of care prevails within the school community.
- The Discipline plan is based on the concepts of justice and restorative practice
- The emphasis is on recognizing, encouraging and rewarding children who choose to behave appropriately.
- A Pastoral Care Worker is employed on a part time basis to assist students and families. This position is funded by the Federal Government through the National School Chaplaincy and Student Welfare Program.
- The Awards and Discipline systems are outlined in the Parent Handbook.
- Qualified, dedicated staff
- Nine well equipped classrooms - air conditioned for summer and winter, smartboards, laptops and ipads available. Music Room
- Multi-purpose hall
- Attractive Library that is well stocked.
- Covered outdoor basketball court; Shaded climbing/play equipment
- Shaded lunch areas with picnic tables
- Attractive grounds and space to play in
- Scone Out Of School Hours (SOOSH) – before and after school care on site